Thursday 12 April 2012

Jewellery

I thought I'd add a post about jewellery as I tend to wear quite a bit. And when I say quite a bit, I mean covering every possible digit on my hand with rings and cramming my neck with chains.

Digressing slightly, the picture on the left is of me at Brick Lane in London. I did like Brick Lane, however a lot of it does seem like the perfect scenery for a mugging at night time. The place is crammed with vintage shops which was really cool to see although I walked away with solely a Bob Dylan shirt as I don't really tend to suit a lot of typical vintage clothing.
As you can see, I wore mainly black with a few necklaces, lots of rings and two earrings in. I only have one ear pierced (that's because I couldn't afford to get the other one pierced at the time and I seem to keep seeing beautiful items to spend my money on) so I wear fake clip-ons in my left ear. In spite of that, I wear very convincing ones and I have never had anyone accuse me of wearing fakes!

I have a vast cornucopia of 'bling'. I tried to take a picture of my collection but - not even exaggerating - I could not fit all of it into one camera frame without losing detail. I have been equated with a magpie by a couple of friends! Black and white with a nest full of shiny items; I think I fit the description. I think this is partly influenced by my parents, as my father was incredibly old fashioned and believed that you showed you how well you treated your 'woman' by the amount of fine jewellery that was resting on her limbs. I have always seen my mother be treated to expensive designer brands of glistening rings. Whilst it will be an incredibly long time before I can purchase Bulgari rings for myself, I do seem to recreate this with much more cheaper accessories, mostly from Topman and New Look.

Here's a list of some of my 'must haves' for your jewellery box:

Armour ring from Ebay - £7


Skeleton Necklace from Vivienne Westwood -£90 / or it's cuter little counterpart - River Island £3
Cross cuff hand chain from Topshop - £12.50

Spike drape ear cuff £7.50 - Topshop

Along with those, I think it's important to have a few very shiny (fake) diamond rings, as they can look incredibly convincing when cleaned well and mixed with the real thing. For women (and a few men that do actually suit them) I would definitely consider investing in some chandelier earrings. This is partly due to an adoration of Edie Sedgwick, but with your hair up and some of those babies dangling from your ears, you can go from trashy to classy in seconds. 
As you have probably noticed, I do not really wear gold jewellery. I think that silver suits paler skin far better, and is also usually much more inexpensive. High street jewellery tends to rub away to the copper underneath and leave your fingers with a green residue, so make sure to give them a few coats of clear nail varnish before you wear them out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment